[Ifeffit] Problem with Perl interpreter

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Fri Nov 13 13:39:12 CST 2015

On 11/13/2015 02:26 PM, Wojciech Olszewski wrote:
> I have a problem with Demeter package. Up to yesterday everything was
> fine. Now when I try to start any program (Athena, Artemis...) I receive
> error message: Perl interpreter has stopped working (The application was
> unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)). Installation of perl
> (strawberry-perl-5.22.0.1-64bit.msi) didn't
> solve the problem. Unfortunately all the log files
> ("C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Demeter\<name>.log") are empty.
> I am using the Demeter 0.9.24 on 64-bit Windows 7.
> I would be really grateful for help in solving this problem.

Hi Wojciech,

Why are you installing perl independently of Demeter?  Do you have some
other use on your computer that requires you to install perl?

Installing another version of Strawberry Perl is almost certain to
clobber Demeter.  Demeter is currently using perl 5.18, which is not
binary compatible with 5.22.  So, when you install the other version of
perl things will break.

If you take care to install a very recent version of Demeter to a
different installation directory than you use to install Strawberry
5.22, it is possible that the two can be made to co-exist.

If you install them to the same installation folder -- say C:\strawberry
-- then Demeter is guaranteed to be broken be due to the binary
incompatibility.

So ... did you install the other version of perl prior to noticing that
Demeter was broken?  If so, there are ways to proceed, but it may get a
bit complicated.

At the very least, you can uninstall both packages completely then
resinstall Demeter.  That should leave you with a functioning Demeter,
but it may break other software.

Did you install Strawberry 5.22 because you have some other use for perl
on your computer?  If so, can your other software work with the version
of perl that comes with Demeter?  That is, do you really need Strawberry
5.22?

Executive summary: I think you problem is binary compatibility between
perl version, of which you seem to have two on your computer.

If all of that doesn't solve your problem, it's going to take a lot more
effort to troubleshoot the problem.

Good luck!

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS-II