[Ifeffit] Demeter under El Capitan

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 12 20:37:17 CST 2015

Hi George,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 7:59 PM, George Sterbinsky <
GeorgeSterbinsky at u.northwestern.edu> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> I am just guessing here, but Zack and Manuel both mention installing
> XQuartz, whereas you mention installing xorg-server. While Demeter should
> work with either, perhaps on the new OS there is a problem installing
> Demeter with xorg-server and one has to go with xQuartz.

I do have XQuartz installed, from before starting to build MacPorts.  The
installation instructions for demeter say to install xorg-server.

Have you tried installing xQuartz or following Zack's instructions exactly?

Depends on what "exactly" means. ;).  I did not "migrate", I built MacPorts
from scratch, after completely erasing any trace of MacPorts as described
in their own uninstalling description.
This was my second attempt at a completely fresh install on El Capitan, and
I've installed Demeter with MacPorts on several machines using previous OS
/ MacPorts / Demeter versions.  Something is definitely broken.

> That is installing xQuartz and not installing xorg-server at all?

The problem I see is not related to X.  It's that Perl's PDL does not
compile with GSL.   I submitted a ticket about this to the MacPorts site.