[Ifeffit] Problems with EXAFS Fitting of Metalloprotein Zinc Samples

Robert Gordon ragordon at alumni.sfu.ca
Mon Nov 9 16:33:18 CST 2015

Hi Carolyn,

Do you see this behaviour even for standard samples, where the local
co-odination of the
zinc is known? If this is only happening for unknowns, then it could be
telling you
that you have heavier or more scatterers present than you have included
in your fitting model.

So^2, N and sig^2 are strongly correlated (So^2 and N directly for a
1-shell fit).
Have you tried breaking the correlation by measuring at different
temperatures
(changes sig^2, not N)?

In the EXAFS section of the Encyclopaedia of Molecular Biology, it
discusses difficulties
in analysing Zn metalloproteins due to not including
multiple-scattering. If a MS peak
is leaking or lurking under the first shell peak(s), there is additional
intensity that the fitting might
try to compensate for by increasing N (and would depend on the strength
of the MS peak, which is,
in turn, dependent on local geometry).

...just some initial thoughts...

cheers,