[Ifeffit] Gnuplot CPU affinity

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Nov 4 06:53:59 CST 2015

On 11/04/2015 07:26 AM, Massimo Tallarida wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I’m having problems with both 0.9.24 and 0.9.18 versions of Demeter.
> When I open a new file, just after starting Athena, both versions
> work well, but as soon as I start to do something, e.g. deglitch a
> curve, the program starts to become very slow. This means that to
> choose a point on the graphic it take few minutes. I checked with the
> task manager and it seems that at the beginning gnuplot is using
> about 10% of CPU, but then it raises and it uses at maximum 25% of
> CPU, it does not go beyond this value. The CPU affinity is set to 4
> CPUs, but it seems gnuplot uses only 1 (25%). If I close the program
> and restarted it, it happens the same. I’m using Windows 7
> Enterprise, Service Pack 1, on an Intel Core i5-4590 CPU at 3.30GHz (4
> CPUs), with 8GB RAM.

I use gnuplot out of the box and with no modification from how it is
delivered.  There is no plotting task in Athena that should take gnuplot
more than a second to complete using a single core on a reasonably
modern computer.

When plucking a point from a plot, there is a built-in delay that should
be, at most, 10 seconds.  Usually much less.

I have certainly never seen the behavior you describe.

I am away from my office (and so away from any windows computers) so I
cannot look into it right now.  Is there any chance that your anti-virus
software is interrupting gnuplot's operation in some way?

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS-II