[Ifeffit] Incomplete source tarballs for larch?

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 24 15:23:08 CDT 2015

Hi Johan,

Sorry for the trouble and confusing instructions.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Johan Nilsson <johan.nilsson at chalmers.se>
wrote:

>  Dear all,
>
> Today I helped a colleague install larch on OSX Yosemite but we ran into
> some problems using the source tarball from CARS (larch-0.9.24.tar.gz). It
> was a bit of a learning curve for me as a linux user but we managed to
> install the prerequisites (exept for epics) using macports and then ran the
> larch installer without noticing any warnings or errors.

The problem after that was that we could not locate the larch binary. The
> source tarball does not include a 'bin' directory and some other things
> that are found in the github source so we went ahead and installed larch
> from the github source instead. After that we could locate the binery and
> start the interpreter. Did we make some mistake here or are there things
> missing in the source tarballs?

In fact, I have been playing with similar issues (the location of the
"plugins" especially) over the past month or so, and there is a difference
between 9.24 and the github master, and moving the binaries to a more sane
location is probably a good idea.

Currently, the Larch binaries install according to the "normal Python
rules".  On most linux systems, that would be "/usr/bin" or
"/usr/local/bin".  Unfortunately on a Mac, that could be somewhere like
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin  or where ever
macports or brew decide to place python binaries.

I'm open for suggestions on this, especially on Mac / Windows.  It's
completely reasonable to say that we need a standalone package for Mac (and
for Windows) that does interact with any other software.  For Mac, creating
a Macports or brew script might be OK too.

--
--Matt Newville