[Ifeffit] amplitude parameter S02 larger than 1

huyanyun at physics.utoronto.ca huyanyun at physics.utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 23 15:10:05 CDT 2015

Hello Bruce,

This is to follow up the *test* experiment you suggested. Attached are
three Artemis files.

I chose the Fe (im-3m) structure to do the test. The normal crystal
structure has its first-shell distance at 2.48 angstrom. A large
structure was created so that the first-shell distance reaches 3.11
angstrom.

Both normal and large structure are calculated in JFEFF in the same
manner (i.e., same path number, same calculation procedure, same
sigma2=0.0045 for all paths) to generate the calculated chi data.

File #1 attached was exactly following the procedure you mentioned.
The quick first shell fits very well, four parameters except S02 give
normal results. The amplitude parameter S02 is very large (2.2+/-0.14).

I extended the test in #2 and #3 for comparison. In #2, calculated
data based on large structure is presented to fit to the same large
structure. As expected, we get reasonable fit looking with other
parameters normal. However, amplitude S02 fits to 1.80+/-0.03. In #3,
both data and structure are normal. In this case, it is not surprising
to get good fit and all parameters including S02 turn out to be close
to their true values.

I think it is clear that first-shell distance larger than 3 angstrom
does has effect in making amplitude artificialy large.

Best,
Yanyun