[Ifeffit] Breaking down correlationships between parameters

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sun Mar 22 15:56:20 CDT 2015

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Scott Calvin <scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu>
wrote:

> One side-comment from me:
>
> On Mar 22, 2015, at 12:52 PM, Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
>
> N and S02 are always 100% correlated (mathematically, not merely by the
> finite k range).
>

> Matt is saying that N and S02 are always 100% correlated *for a single
> path*. But in some situations you might know N for one path but not
> others. For example, you might know that the absorbing atom is octahedrally
> coordinated to oxygen but not be as certain as to next-nearest neighbors,
> or that there are copper atoms on the corners of a simple cubic lattice
> with a mixture of atoms at other positions. In cases like that, both N for
> all paths but one and S02 can be fit without 100% correlation.

Yes, I completely agree with Scott -- this is a good point that I
neglected.   In addition to looking at multiple shells, one might also
consider using temperature or pressure dependence to separate N*S02 and
sigma2.   Those aren't without assumptions, and still don't remove the
inherent correlation, but are useful approaches.

The degeneracy of multiple-scattering paths can often be constrained in