[Ifeffit] amplitude parameter S02 larger than 1

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Fri Mar 20 17:53:06 CDT 2015

Hi Yanyun,

Good. So here's the procedure for a Hamilton test.

We're comparing the fit with S02 guessed to the one with S02 set to 0.90, because that was your a priori best guess at S02.

I take the ratio of the first R-factor to the second. You didn't actually say the R-factor for the fit with S02 guessed, but it's clearly around 0.0055 based on the other information you gave. The R-factor for the 0.90 fit is 0.021. So the ratio is 0.0055/0.021 = 0.26, which we'll call x.

For the first fit the degrees of freedom is 31.2 - 24 = 8.2. Take half of that and call that a. So a is 4.1.

The first fit guesses 1 parameter that the second one doesn't. Take half of 1 and call that b. So b is 0.5.

Find a regularized lower incomplete beta function calculator, like this one: http://www.danielsoper.com/statcalc3/calc.aspx?id=37

Enter x, a, and b.

The result is 0.001. This means that there is a 0.1% chance that the fits are actually consistent, and that the difference is just due to noise in the data.

So in this case, we can't just explain away the high S02 as insignificant.

Of course, you could pretty much eyeball that once you gave me the uncertainties; since your fit said 1.45 +/- 0.14, that's likely to be quite incompatible with S02 = 0.9. Still, it's nice to put that on a firmer statistical basis, and I've personally found the Hamilton test quite helpful for answering "do I need to worry about [X]?" type questions.

But in your case, you do need to worry about it. This discussion has generated several suggestions; hopefully one of them is a good lead!

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College

> On Mar 20, 2015, at 4:30 PM, huyanyun at physics.utoronto.ca wrote:
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> In all situations, 31.2 independent data points and 24 variables were
> used. In the case of setting S02 to a value, 23 variables were used.
>
> Let me know if there is any other info needed.
>
> Best,
> Yanyun
>

> Quoting Scott Calvin <scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu>:
>
>> Hi Yanyun,
>>
>> To actually do a Hamilton test, the one other thing I need to know
>> the number of degrees of freedom in the fit...if you provide that,
>> I'll walk you through how to actually do a Hamilton test--it's not
>> that bad, with the aid of an online calculator, and I think it might
>> be instructive for some of the other people reading this list who
>> are trying to learn EXAFS.
>>
>> --Scott Calvin
>> Sarah Lawrence College
>>

>>> On Mar 20, 2015, at 3:46 PM, huyanyun at physics.utoronto.ca wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Scott,
>>>
>>> Thank you so much for giving me your thought again. It is very helpful
>>> to know how you and other XAFS experts deal with unusual situations.
>>>
>>> The floating S02 is fitted to be 1.45+/-0.14, this just means the fit
>>> doesn't like the idea of an S02 in a typical range. Instead of setting
>>> S02 to 0.9, I have to figure out why it happens and what it might
>>> indicate.
>>>
>>> I guess a Hamilton test is done by adjusting one parameter (i.e., S02)
>>> while keeping other conditions and model the same. Is that right?  So
>>> I record this test as following:
>>>
>>> 1) Floating S02: S02 fits to 1.45+/-0.14, R=0.0055, reduced
>>> chi^2=17.86, Percentage=0.53+/-0.04
>>> 2) Set S02=0.7, R=0.044, reduced chi^2=120.6, percentage=0.81+/-0.2
>>> 3) set S02=0.8, R=0.030, reduced chi^2=86.10, percentage=0.77+/-0.07
>>> 3) set S02=0.9, R=0.021, reduced chi^2=60.16, percentage=0.72+/-0.06
>>> 4) set S02=1.0, R=0.017, reduced chi^2=49.5, percentage=0.67+/-0.05
>>> 5) set S02=1.1, R=0.012, reduced chi^2=35.1, percentage=0.62+/-0.03
>>> 6) set S02=1.2, R=0.009, reduced chi^2=24.9, percentage=0.59+/-0.02
>>> 7) set S02=1.3, R=0.007, reduced chi^2=18.9, percentage=0.57+/-0.02
>>> 8) set S02=1.4, R=0.0057, reduced chi^2=16.1, percentage=0.55+/-0.02
>>> 9) Floating S02 to be 1.45+/-0.14
>>> 10) set S02=1.6, R=0.006, reduced chi^2=17.8, percentage=0.53+/- 0.02