[Ifeffit] Installing demeter from source on Yosemite?

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Mar 19 16:55:53 CDT 2015

Anders,

I see two things that look like problems.  I have never built Demeter
on a Mac myself, so there may be limits to how good my advice can be.
That said:

You are clearly not linking against the pgplot library you compiled.
I glean this from the fact that you see this:

    Use of uninitialized value $pgplot_location in substitution (s///)
    at DemeterBuilder.pm line 191.

and this (from your previous email):

    $ ifeffit
    Ifeffit   1.2.12 Copyright (c) 2005 Matt Newville, Univ of Chicago
                   command-line shell version 1.1 with GNU Readline
    Ifeffit> testplot
       %PGPLOT, Unrecognized device type

and so on.  You need to make sure that pgplot is someplace that the
linker/loader knows to look when you build ifeffit.  But I do not know
how that works on the mac.

The bigger problem is this:

On 03/19/2015 05:42 PM, Anders Glans wrote:
> env LD_RUN_PATH=/System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE cc -mmacosx-version-min=10.10 -arch x86_64 -arch i386 -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -fstack-protector -o src/Ifeffit.dylib src/ifeffit_wrap.o
> Simple test for presence of gnuplot ---> found it!  Using gnuplot with the x11 terminal.
> Building Demeter
> Building Artemis User's Guide
> Building Athena User's Guide
> copying src/Ifeffit.so to /Users/Anders/perl/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.so

It seems that my build script is too stupid to know that the shared
object library built from the ifeffit wrapper is called .dylib and not
.so.

Try copying "src/Ifeffit.dylib" to "/Users/Anders/perl/auto/Ifeffit/"
by hand, then doing "./Build" again.

Perhaps oddly, I am not worried about that whole slew of warnings.  I
don't think they matter.

Hopefully with the .dylib file in the correct location, this

   t/000_ifeffit.t ......... Can't load

'/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.bundle'
   for module Ifeffit:

and so on, won't happen.

Fingers crossed!

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov