[Ifeffit] Installing demeter from source on Yosemite?

Anders Glans paglans at lbl.gov
Thu Mar 19 16:21:53 CDT 2015

Dear all,

Has anybody succeeded with installing demeter from source on a Mac? I have attempted to install demeter from source on OS X 10.10.2, but so far without success.

I have followed the installation procedure for Installing source code at http://bruceravel.github.io/demeter/pods/installation.pod.html <http://bruceravel.github.io/demeter/pods/installation.pod.html>, except I installed pgplot from source instead of using the install script provided through ifeffit. I don’t get any errors installing either pgplot or ifeffit.

All dependencies for demeter should be met:

$ sudo perl ./Build.PL
Password:
Created MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
Creating new 'Build' script for 'Demeter' version '0.9.21'

If all dependencies are met, build and install Demeter by doing:
<snip>

The build seems to go fine:

$ sudo ./Build
Simple test for presence of gnuplot ---> found it!  Using gnuplot with the x11 terminal.
Building Demeter
Building Artemis User's Guide
Building Athena User's Guide

But the tests fail miserably. Already before the actual testing starts, there is a message that loading of Ifeffit.bundle fails:

$ sudo ./Build test
t/000_ifeffit.t ......... Can't load '/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.bundle' for module Ifeffit: dlopen(/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.bundle, 2): Symbol not found: _ifeffit
  Referenced from: /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.bundle
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.bundle at /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/DynaLoader.pm line 194.
 at t/000_ifeffit.t line 9.
Compilation failed in require at t/000_ifeffit.t line 9.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/000_ifeffit.t line 12.
# Looks like your test exited with 255 before it could output anything.
t/000_ifeffit.t ......... Dubious, test returned 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
Failed 6/6 subtests
<snip>

However, the bundle exists:
$ ls -l /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/
total 152
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  76208 Mar 18 13:09 Ifeffit.bundle

and the symbol in question is part of the bundle (well, at least the string exists):

$ grep _ifeffit /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/*
Binary file /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.bundle matches

Does anybody know what is going on? Am I missing something?

A couple of more bits of information:

$ which ifeffit
/usr/local/bin/ifeffit

$ ifeffit
 Ifeffit   1.2.12 Copyright (c) 2005 Matt Newville, Univ of Chicago
                command-line shell version 1.1 with GNU Readline
Ifeffit> testplot
 %PGPLOT, Unrecognized device type
 %PGPLOT, Invalid device specification: /AQT
 %PGPLOT, PGBBUF: selected graphics device is not open
 %PGPLOT, PGQCI: selected graphics device is not open
 %PGPLOT, PGQFS: selected graphics device is not open
 %PGPLOT, PGSCI: selected graphics device is not open
 %PGPLOT, PGSFS: selected graphics device is not open
 %PGPLOT, PGSVP: selected graphics device is not open
 %PGPLOT, PGBBUF: selected graphics device is not open
 %PGPLOT, PGEBUF: selected graphics device is not open
 %PGPLOT, PGSVP: selected graphics device is not open
 %PGPLOT, PGSCI: selected graphics device is not open
 %PGPLOT, PGSFS: selected graphics device is not open
 %PGPLOT, PGEBUF: selected graphics device is not open
  ** plot error: cannot open device:
 %PGPLOT, Unrecognized device type
 %PGPLOT, Invalid device specification: /AQT
  ** plot error: cannot open device:
Ifeffit> exit

$ which athena
/usr/local/bin/athena

$ athena
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _iff_exec
  Referenced from: /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.bundle
  Expected in: flat namespace

dyld: Symbol not found: _iff_exec
  Referenced from: /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.bundle
  Expected in: flat namespace

Trace/BPT trap: 5

Regards,
Anders