[Ifeffit] Issues with Athena on high-performance systems

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 25 15:00:12 CDT 2015

Nils,

We run Athena on non-wimpy Windows 7 systems at our beamline computers all
the time,  using both 64- and 32-bit Windows, and typically on multi-core
machines with at least 16 Gb RAM and multiple screens.  Like Robert, we
don't see any real performance problems with a handful (<50) spectra.
Athena rarely makes a very big dent in the system resources (well,
comparable to a web browser, so a bit of a hog, but well under 1Gb RAM).

Perhaps what you're seeing is related to the plotting with Gnuplot.  I'm
not sure why that would be a problem...  Any ideas?

--Matt

Hi,

I’m curious if anyone else is experiencing issues with Athena in more
high-end systems running Windows 7? While I am used to having to wait for
the *first* plot to show  up, the software is virtually unusable to me now
where any slight change (e.g. modifying range for the spline) to already
imported data takes up to over a minute to replot. This didn’t use to be
the case for me. The system is a laptop running Win 7 Professional with
2.40 GHz i7 CPU/16 GB RAM with plenty of space on the hard drives and a
dedicated Intel HD 4600 graphics circuit.

If anyone has a work-around for this problem or can suggest anything to
make Athena usable again, it would be most appreciated. Has anyone noticed
previous versions of Athena running more smoothly?

Best regards,

Nils

*Nils Skoglund, Ph.D.*
Post-doctoral researcher

Energy Science
Department of Engineering Sciences and Mathematics
Luleå University of Technology
SE-971 87 Luleå
Sweden

Cell           :  +46 (0)72 529 52 08