[Ifeffit] Reference for Setting k range in EXAFS analysis

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Fri Jun 19 07:58:23 CDT 2015

To add to what Robert said...

Section 12.2.3 of Scott Calvin's textbook, XAFS for Everyone, may be
exactly what you are looking for.  You can find it on Amazon and
elsewhere.

I am not sure if you are actually asking about the lower end of the
k-range or the upper end.  If the question is about the upper end,
then, as Robert, said, the answer is simple.  More data is better, so
long as you are mindful of the size of the signal relative to
statistical and systematic noise.

As for the lower end, you need to remember that the background removal
algorithm uses a rather simple-minded, Fourier analysis to distinguish
background from XAFS signal.  In the region close to the edge -- where
the data are changing most rapidly -- the spline probably does not
have the freedom to approximate the background function well.  Thus,
the extracted chi(k) are quite a bit more unreliable below 2 or 3
inv. Ang. than they are at higher k.

This may sound like a horrible problem for EXAFS analysis, except that
the theory is also unrelible at low k.  When the photoelectron has low
kinetic energy (i.e. just above the edge), it is very sensitive to the
details of the potential surface.  Given that Feff uses spherical
muffin tins and that spherical muffin tins are a pretty crude
approximation, the theory is unreliable below 2 or 3 inv. Ang.

Happily, about 2 or 3 inverse Angstroms, both the theory and the
extracted data are pretty reliable, which is why EXAFS analysis works.

The default kmin in Artemis is 3.  You should choose kmax to be as big
as possible without extending into a regime where the signal is
dominated by statistical or systematic noise.  (Section 5.9.1 in
Scott's book is helpful in that regard.)

HTH,