[Ifeffit] Demeter won't start in Windows 7

willn william.nash at earth.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jul 12 16:30:45 CDT 2015

Matt/Bruce,

The workaround of adding...
"set Path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem
     set
Path=%PATH%;C:\strawberry\perl\bin;C:\strawberry\perl\site\bin;C:\strawberry\c\bin;C:\strawberry\c\bin\gnuplot\bin;"
...to the top of my dathena.bat file worked, and the software is now up
and running once more.

Thank you so much!

This explains a lot! Even though I was editing the path as suggested,
every time I ran Athena the batchfile was setting it back to the
crippled one shown in the log file I sent you. I didn't realize that the
batch files did this. Presumably this dodgy path was an artifact from
one of my earlier attempts at installing, before I had made the
appropriate changes.

Thanks again for helping me so fast - I was barking up the wrong tree,
convinced that the problem was a compatibility issue with Perl.

Best wishes, and thanks again,
William

On 12/07/2015 17:47, Matt Newville wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> As with the recent message about Demeter on Mac-with-Parallels, I
> suspect this is an issue with how the PATH is set.   It looks to me
> like you don't have all the path locations set correctly, though it
> also appears that it is finding the DLL, just not recognizing it as a
> Win32 DLL  That probably means some other DLL is interfering, but I'm
> not certain of that.
>
> I would suggest setting path explicitly to
>
> C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\strawberry\perl\bin;C:\strawberry\perl\site\bin;C:\strawberry\c\bin;C:\strawberry\c\bin\gnuplot\bin;
>
> You could even try putting this at the top of dathena.bat (and
> dartemis.bat, etc):
>
>     set Path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem
>     set
> Path=%PATH%;C:\strawberry\perl\bin;C:\strawberry\perl\site\bin;C:\strawberry\c\bin;C:\strawberry\c\bin\gnuplot\bin;
>
> Hope that helps -- and please let us know!
>
> --Matt

William Nash
PhD Student, Experimental Petrology
Earth Sciences Department