[Ifeffit] Fwd: FEFF trouble help me please !!!!

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Jul 7 16:00:55 CDT 2015

Hi,

I want to remind everyone that it is important to use the mailing
list.  I do not feel that I am obligated to answer questions about the
software that come to me by any other channel, particularly when I do
not have a personal relationship with the person asking the question.
That said, I am forwarding this fellow's question to the mailing list
and providing an answer.

Thitipong, this is a case of GIGO.

According to Acta Cryst. (1972). B28, 3102-3103 (the reference I found
for Cr23C6):

   The crystal structure of chromium carbide, C r 2 3 C 6 , has
   been described as cubic, space group Fm3m, 4Cr (I) in (a)
   (000), 8Cr (II) in (c) (l-lq:), 48Cr (III) in (h) (Oxx), x=
   0.165, 32Cr (IV) in (f) (xxx), x=0.385, 24C in (e) (x00),
   x=0-275 (Westgren, 1933) on the basis of X-ray single
   crystal and powder diffraction data. We have confirmed
   this structure and determined the atom positions more
   precisely by a neutron diffraction study of a powder sample.

Using those coordinates, I have no problem running atoms and feff.
The structure is a bit strange -- I guess this is more like a metal
than a carbide -- but it seems consistent with the paper after a
cursory inspection.

According to http://www.crystallography.net/cod/1009019.html, the
space group for Cr7C3 is P M C N.  Atoms and feff run fine with this
input data.

Some hints on asking questions that so you'll get the answers you are
looking for:

   http://bruceravel.github.com/demeter/pods/bugs.pod.html
   http://bruceravel.github.com/demeter/pods/help.pod.html