[Ifeffit] Trouble installing demeter on Mint 17.1

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Feb 19 08:12:25 CST 2015

On 02/19/2015 06:45 AM, Stevan Ognjanovic wrote:
> Thank you for the quick (and simple, once you know what to look for)
> solution - it was indeed a locale problem. I managed to sort it out, I
> don't mind setting the LC_Numeric to en_US system-wide (it's something I
> wanted to do anyway), but now I'm getting other locale errors and
> warnings whenever I start a new terminal session. Anyway, this is not a
> demeter issue, so I won't be bothering you with it.

Hi Stevan,

Glad it all worked out.

Changing localization variables can have surprising consequences.  (It
was kind of surprising how Athena reacted!)  If you are not
comfortable simply setting something like LANG to en_US, you can make
an alias that starts Athena within an altered environment.  Following
Denis' suggestion, you could put something like this in your .bashrc
file (or the equivalent if you use another shell):

   alias athena='(export LANG=en_US/UTF-8 && /usr/local/bin/athena)'

That will leave LANG untouched in the shell, but run Athena in a way
that will not trigger the issue that started this conversation.  That's
bash syntax, it may be a bit different in another shell.

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS-II