[Ifeffit] Unable to export flattened normalized XANES spectra from Athena 0.9.24

Jeff Catalano catalano at levee.wustl.edu
Wed Dec 9 08:24:15 CST 2015

Hi Bruce,

I appreciate the reply. It looks like what I want is the flattend column
of data, which is not column 2 in the version 0.9.24 norm(E) files, it
is column 3. I was unaware both flattened and unflatten normalized data
were exported in the file. In Athena 0.8 if "Flatten normalized data"
was selected then column 2 was this flattened data in a norm(E) file. I
had no idea that the export format for norm(E) files changed in version
0.9. To make sure I have this correct, below are the column labels from
norm(E) files exported from Athena 0.8.061 and Athena 0.9.24:

0.8.061: #  energy norm bkg_norm der_norm
0.9.24: #   e         norm        flat        fbkg nder        nsec

I have plotting code that expects columns 1 and 2 and I was unaware that
flattened data is now output separately (in column 3). In version 0.8 a
flattened normalized spectra was outputted if the box was checked, and
if it was unchecked then column 2 was the unflattened data, from what I
can tell. Can you please confirm that I understand this correctly?

I admit that I had not looked at the documentation before writing since
I understood the Athena 0.8 file format and had not anticipated a format
change in the new version.  It clearly would have been informative to
look at the current documentation! Of course, as you note that the
columns listed in the documentation for norm(E) files are wrong, with
the current output format being columns 1 4 2 3 6 7 from what is listed
in the documentation (column 5 does not appear in my file). Should this
be looked at?  I actually would prefer the column order that is listed
in the documentation. The file format is clearly not what you intended.

Thank you,
Jeff

--
Jeffrey G. Catalano, Associate Professor
Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences