[Ifeffit] Measuring particle size by coordination number

Maxim Boyanov mboyanov at nd.edu
Mon Aug 3 10:54:05 CDT 2015

An additional reason for the discrepancy in particle sizes between EXAFS and TEM may be that TEM detects only particles above a cut-off size, whereas particles of all sizes (including single ion complexes) contribute to the EXAFS signal. Assuming that EXAFS is 100% accurate in determining particle size ;-), this would result in smaller sizes reported by EXAFS and will be noticeable if a significant fraction of the atoms are in particles with sizes below the detection limit of TEM.

-Max