[Ifeffit] Ke

Sin Yuen Chang sinyuen.chang at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Thu Oct 16 01:28:34 CDT 2014

Dear Pushkar/Ke,

I normally use different e0 values in Athena based on what I want to do:

1. e0 for energy scale calibration
A generally accepted method is to use derivatives to match the energy scales, as described in the previous threads. I apply this to a known standard and shift the energy scale of the other spectrum that I want to calibrate by the same extent.

2. e0 in EXAFS modelling
After I know that the energy scale I have is correct, then in EXAFS modelling, e0 is now the point where your EXAFS backscattering starts. That's why we are trying to avoid white lines here.

It took me some time to figure out that e0 could mean several different things.

There is a rich history in IFEFFIT discussion on e0, examples:
http://millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/pipermail/ifeffit/2014-June/011841.html
http://millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/pipermail/ifeffit/2014-June/011836.html
http://cars9.uchicago.edu/pipermail/ifeffit/2004-June/005614.html

Best wishes,