[Ifeffit] Ke

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Wed Oct 15 18:18:57 CDT 2014

Hi Pushkar:

There are several ways to work out the best background subtraction besides
just increasing Rbkg.  Making Rbkg as large as 1.2 or 1.4 is dangerous if
you have an Fe-O distance or something equally short.  Usually it is
unwise to make Rbkg more than 1/2 of the distance to the nearest neighbor.

I have sometimes been able to get the same results by cutting down the
spline range to a value smaller than the highest value of k that you have
in your data set.  At the same time, it is usually necessary to cut your
Forward FT range down.

Another, but less effective parameter to change is the k-weight for
background subtraction.  Usually 2 is a good value but sometimes either 1
or 3 works better (this has only happened rarely for me).

If nothing else works, I sometimes just leave the datqa the way it is and
I live with the intensity at low R.

The only way to really understand whether you have done it right is to
take your model and inspect the results to determine if it makes physical
sense.  Then you use the same model with data which has been treated a
different way to see how consistent your results are.

Carlo