[Ifeffit] Ke

pushkar shejwalkar pshejwalkar2004 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 17:17:43 CDT 2014

Thanks Carlo for that input. I will keep it in mind. Actually I also have
this Eo>10 problem and I was following this dicussion closely. Thanks Ke
for raising the problem. I think my problem lies with the 'Not so good
modelling of data' as my compounds are Fe(II) based and the local structure
of which is not known. These are new compounds. Although, I want to make
sure that the basic steps such as E calibration and background removal is
done correctly.
I am still facing problem with the background removal. How would you know
that the RBKG value if set to 1.2 or 1.4 etc is good and the Background
removal is ok to use from Athena and take it over to Artemis? are there any
set of parameters we should check, that if ok we can consider the BKG
removal is good?
Thank you everyone in advance for your anticipated help.
Pushkar

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Carlo Segre <segre at iit.edu> wrote:

> Either way is fine but I would suggest taht you not use the calibrate
> function, just read off the zero crossing and put it into the E0 location.
> Calibrate actually shifts the data and that is not necessarily what you
> want to do, particularly if you are comparing spectra..
>
> Carlo
>

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2014, Pushkar wrote:
>
>  Dear Ke
>> Is there a reason you use first derivative?? I thought if you take second
>> derivative on Athena and then click find zero and then calibrate that value
>> is the correct way. I am learning XAFS myself for the first time and I am
>> novice too. So may be I make no sense but just want to confirm if I am not
>> doing anything wrong. What's your stake in this??
>> Pushkar
>>
>> Pushkar Shejwalkar
>> Post-doctoral researcher, JSPS fellow,
>> Catalysis Research Center
>> Hokkaido University,
>> Sapporo
>> Japan-0010020
>>

>>  On १६ ऑक्टो, २०१४, at १२:२७ म.पू., Ke Yuan <keyuan at umich.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Sin Yuen,
>>>
>>> Thanks for forwarding me that study materials on E0.
>>>
>>> I use Athena to find the highest peak on the fist derivative of the
>>> spectra and pick that value as E0. I think I did not put E0 above this
>>> value. I will try to put it on the high energy side to see what will happen.
>>>
>>> Tks!
>>> Ke

> --
> Carlo U. Segre -- Duchossois Leadership Professor of Physics
> Director, Center for Synchrotron Radiation Research and Instrumentation
> Illinois Institute of Technology
> Voice: 312.567.3498            Fax: 312.567.3494
> segre at iit.edu   http://phys.iit.edu/~segre   segre at debian.org

Best Regards,