[Ifeffit] Trouble creating feff input file for NaTiO3 cubic perovskite structure

Badari Rao badari.rao at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 02:44:22 CDT 2014

Dear Dr. Bruce,

Thank you for spending time on this problem.
I did realize that that the simple perovskite structure I created may be
physically unreasonable which is why feff was crashing. I tried modifying
the lattice parameter to see if at some point it would start working, but
it didn't help.
I needed this particular simple perovskite structure as I am trying to
analyze an A-site disordered perovskite Na0.5Bi0.5TiO3. Since 'atoms' does
not allow us to input disordered structure (due to obvious reasons), I
wanted to create two separate structure files namely: NaTiO3 and BiTiO3,
and thus I encountered this problem.
However, I also found that the problem with NaTiO3 occurs only when the
atomic coordinates are at the cubic positions. If I incorporate some
distortion into the structure (say tetragonal or rhombohedral), then feff
seems to be working fine.

With best regards,
Badari