[Ifeffit] "PCA not enabled" on Mac version of Demeter: Athena

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Oct 7 14:29:32 CDT 2014

On 10/07/2014 02:43 PM, Schima, Frank wrote:
> I’m going to need specific steps to reproduce the issue.

As I understood the issue from Ellen's first message, the problem is
that Athena is not able to find the modules "PDL::Lite" (which should be
installed when "PDL" is installed) and/or "PDL::Stats::GLM".

If I force Athena to fail to load one of them, then selecting "Principle
Components Analysis" from the main menu will look like the first attachment.

If Athena can find those two modules, the selecting "Principle
Components Analysis" will look like the second attachment.

The test in Athena is really simple.  If those two modules can be loaded
successfully, then the PCA tool will display properly.  If not, that
message is the graceful fall back.  My guess is that one or both of
those perl modules is not being found on Ellen's computer.

A simple way to test from the command line whether the modules can be
loaded is to do

     perl -e 'use PDL::Lite'
or
     perl -e 'use PDL::Stats::GLM'

If they cannot be found, then perl spits up an error message.  If  they
can, then nothing happens.

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS --- Beamlines U7A, X24A, X23A2