[Ifeffit] Fitting EXAFS simulation to experimental

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Thu May 29 11:54:55 CDT 2014

Dear Carl,

The short answer is yes, but it takes a little bit of effort.

One method is to actually figure out how stretching the c-axis impacts the lengths of each path geometrically, and then use the functions determine to express the delr's of each path in terms of the change in c. This method is rigorously correct, but requires digging in to the geometry, and entering somewhat lengthy expressions for many of the scattering paths.

A related method is to in effect use a first-order approximation of those changes. To do that, create two atoms files with slightly different values of c. Generate the corresponding paths, and see how the reff of those paths changes. For example, changing c by 0.01 might result in a certain path having a reff change by 0.014. Use the ratio of the change in reff to the change in c to scale the delr of those paths with respect to a guessed parameter delc. In the example I just provided the delr of the path in question would be chosen to be 1.4*delc.

The second method is, of course, approximate, but for small changes in a parameter such as c can work pretty well, and can be easier to implement than the first.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College