[Ifeffit] Fitting EXAFS simulation to experimental

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Thu May 29 09:40:15 CDT 2014

Hi Carl,

I'm not sure what level you were asking your question from. Bruce provided an answer to one interpretation of the question.

If the question is, however, "has anyone written an automated script that allows the user to choose parameters given to ATOMS as fitting parameters for all space groups," then my answer is that I'm not aware of that having been done.

For example, it is very easy to make the lattice parameter for a cubic space group be a fitting parameter, as changes to it will result in a uniform fractional change to the length of all paths, and the reff keyword makes it easy to implement a uniform fractional change. Plenty of people have computed the relationship between ATOMS parameters and path parameters for specific geometries (including more complicated ones), and used that for fitting.

But in each case that requires some effort to think about the geometry involved. That's different from having a script that allows you to designate a shift in, say, the x-coordinate in fractional coordinates of one kind of atom in the input file and automatically have that result in the generation of the correct function of that fitting parameter in each of the paths used in FEFF, including multiple-scattering paths. And that's the thing that I don't think currently exists.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College