[Ifeffit] XANES + EXAFS for light elements in diluted samples

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Sun May 11 16:43:10 CDT 2014

One of the big sources of background could be harmonics fluorescing Fe, especially for S.  Aside from that, it only takes light filtering with something like mylar to knock down Si and Al in favor of S and Ca.
You need a beamline which doesn't have a lot of Be in the way so that it can get decent flux at the S edge.  There are a number of "tender X-ray" beamlines out there, for instance at CLS.
The one I've been working on, ALS 10.3.2 can also do it, though it doesn't have as much flux as some of the others, being a microprobe on a bend magnet.  If there's any Cl, that could
interfere with S.
	mam