[Ifeffit] Peaks in MCA spectra

George Sterbinsky GeorgeSterbinsky at u.northwestern.edu
Mon Mar 31 22:49:02 CDT 2014

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply. see below.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Matthew Marcus <mamarcus at lbl.gov> wrote:

> Hmmm.  An interesting brain-teaser.  Scaling very roughly from the graph,
> the mystery peak shows up at about 715eV.  This is consistent with Fe.
> Could there be a background from Fe somewhere in the detection systen?

I don't think so. The shoulder appears when the incident energy corresponds
to the Co L-edge, at the same time as the main Co peak. Also, MCA spectra
collected above and below the Fe L-edge are pretty much identical.

> The intensity between the O and Co peaks doesn't really look like
> a peak, but just like a background tail, perhaps from the strong Co peak.
>  It seems to be a little to the right of where N (from, for instance,
> a kapton window) would be.  I could be wrong, in which case my Fe theory
> goes away.

I'm assuming you mean the intensity between C and O. I've attached a plot
of a MCA spectrum from the Co L pre-edge. This is again the sum of several
spectra collected in the pre-edge region to reduce noise.The intensity
between C and O is still present, so I don't think it is due to a tail from
the Co peak. I also agree that is to the right of where one expects N.

> Now, I thought about an escape peak from Si, but I suspect that
> this is really small down here and anyway, the Si L-fluorescence energy is
> 92eV or so, and the extra peak is about 55eV below the main peak.
>
> Did you duck below the Fe edge to see if the peak to the L of Co goes away?

Yes, as noted above, the attached MCA spectrum from the Co pre-edge is
pretty much identical to spectra collected below the Fe L-edge. A peak is
seen at energies consistent with Fe and/or Co florescence. I think it is
actually a combination of 2nd order cobalt, a small amount of fluorine, and
maybe some elastic scatter. However regardless of its origin, it is much
weaker than the Co L3/L2-M4 and the shoulder on that peak, so I don't think
they are related.

> The peaks in the fit seem to be consistently to the left of the ones in
> the data.  Any idea why?  Was the energy scale not a fit parameter?

My guess is that they are shifted because they are trying to fit the
intensity of the shoulders.

In order to analyze the 'extra' peaks, it may be useful to optimize the fit
> to the main peaks, then subtract to get the residual, including
> the 'extras'.  What would happen if you added Fe and maybe N to the fit?

Yes, I do get a good fit when I do that. In fact, that is what I originally
thought before I started to look at the data a little more closely and
ruled out Fe in the ways explained above. I'll take a look at the
residuals, but I need to play around with the fit to get rid of the
shifting to left of the peaks.

Thanks,
George