[Ifeffit] Inequivalent atomic positions (V2O5 xerogel)

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Mar 18 09:57:00 CDT 2014

On 03/18/2014 10:31 AM, Douglas Langie da Silva wrote:

> I am working with EXAFS data of V2O5 xerogel. In this form, the V2O5
> present a monoclinic structure formed by bi-layers of VO5 pyramids
> intercalated with water molecules. Fig 1 attached presents a view of the
> V2O5 xerogel structure. There are two Vanadium atoms per unit cell, each
> one surrounded by oxygen atoms at distinct distances, characterizing two
> inequivalent sites.
> My question is how to fit the data in dartemis considering the two
> inequivalent positions?
>
> My first approach was run Feff two times. Then I get two theoretical
> models, one for V1 atoms and the other for the V2 atoms. Each of Feff
> runs are present attached as model V1 and model V2. After that I
> transfer the paths of the first shell of each model to dartesmis data
> windows (fig 2) and proceed with the fit. We pay attention in the site
> fraction of each vanadium atom in order to setup the S02 parameter for
> each model. Without attempting at this point with the numbers, the final
> results are present in Fig. 3 e 4. Fig 4 presents the log file and the
> results for the each patch.
>
> My question is: this procedure is valid?

What you have done seems very much like the common explanation for this
given by me and others on this list.

I'd be a bit worried about the negative sigma^2 and I'd wonder why you
are not floating Delta R parameters, but those are details.  The basic
answer to your question is, seems valid to me.

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS --- Beamlines U7A, X24A, X23A2

  Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel