[Ifeffit] Use of the 3rd and 4th Parameter

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Mon Jun 16 13:08:43 CDT 2014

Hi Michael,

It is best to start by guessing the third cumulant only, leaving the fourth cumulant set to zero. A survey of the published literature shows very few examples where the fourth cumulant has been fit--by that point the cumulant expansion itself is starting to become iffy, which is not the case when you just have "some" disorder.

Guess the third cumulant as zero, and then observe the best-fit value and its uncertainty. A typical result might be something like 0.0005 +/- 0.0002 angstroms cubed. That result would suggest that the third cumulant was nonzero, as the bestfit value is outside the reported uncertainty. Comparing the reduced chi-square parameter with the third cumulant set to zero and guessed will give you a sense of whether it resulted in a statistical improvement to the fit; using the Hamilton test would be even better.

The third cumulant can be positive, negative, or zero.

To get a sense of how large the magnitude can be, think about the units: angstroms cubed. Very roughly, we usually expect delr to be less than 0.1 angstroms, sigma2 to be less than 0.01 angstroms, and the third cumulant to be less than 0.001 angstroms. If we're getting numbers bigger than that, it suggests that a different starting model might be called for, rather than trying to use a cumulant expansion. You certainly should never guess the third cumulant at 0.5--that's way too big!

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College