[Ifeffit] athena working issues on windows 8 and Ubuntu 14.04

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Mon Jul 28 08:38:29 CDT 2014

Yanyun,

> I am writing to inquire if Demeter(athena, artemis) works on a 64-bit
> windows 8 system. I was trying to install Demeter 0.9.20 (downloaded from
> http://bruceravel.github.io/demeter/)on my 64-bit windows 8 laptop. It
> seems install well, at least there were no problems coming out during the
> installation. However, when I opened Athena, and imported data (an EXAFS
> data file end with .dat), there was no graphic window and no data was
> imported into Arthena, which stopped me proceeding.
>
> I had similar problems when I tried to install the Updater package
> (version 0.9.18.2) after the 0.9.13 Installer package was installed.
>
> Has anyone known if this problem was caused by the
> incompatibility between Demeter and Windows 8, or because I didn't install
> any supported package? Or how can I resolve this issue?

I do not have a Windows 8 machine of my own -- my employers do not
allow us to use Windows 8.  So I am reliant upon reports from users.
I have been told by Windows 8 users that the 0.9.20 pre-release
packages work just fine.  So I am suspicious (but by no means certain)
that your problem has more to do with your computer than with the
package.

I would need to see more information.  Is anything written to the log
file?

http://bruceravel.github.io/demeter/pods/bugs.pod.html#Capturing_error_messages_from_Demete

Is anything written to the screen if you try to launch Athena from a
command window?

> I also tried to install the source
> code of demeter (version 0.9.20) following the instructions on
> http://bruceravel.github.io/demeter/pods/installation.pod.html. All
> procedures (step 1 to 4 in the section 'BUILD DEMETER AND ITS
> DEPENDENCIES') went smoothly on my Ubuntu 14.04. When it was done, I typed
> 'athena' or 'artemis' in the terminal under the demeter directory and
> athena or artemis were launched. But the graphic interface is still PGPLOT,
> rather than GNUPLOT, although I have installed GNUPLOT before I built
> demeter.

Hmmm ... I thought the build script recognized the presence of gnuplot
on the computer and configured things accordingly.  I will look into
it.

In any case, it is easily changeable at any time.  In Athena's main
menu, select "Preferences".  Open the "Plot" group and change the
value of the "plotwith" parameter.

Alternately, edit the demeter.ini file in $HOME/.horae with a text
editor, look for the "[plot]" group, and change "plotwith" to read
"plotwith = gnuplot".  (Spelling matters!)

> Besides that, the data column window opened through 'open files' cannot be
> imported, as there is no 'OK' button in the bottom left. Also, the athena
> version shown is 0.8.061, rather than 0.9.20 which is the version number of
> demeter I built. I was really confused about these working issues, stopping
> me at the very beginning of data processing.

The word that you type at the command line to launch Demeter's version
of Athena is "dathena".  (When spoken out loud, the "d" is silent!)

During the years I was developing Demeter, the silent "d" allowed one
to have both the old and new versions of my software on the same
computer.  Clearly, you have a copy of the very old version still on
your computer.

I recommend getting in the habit of typing "dath<tab>" ;)

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS --- Beamlines U7A, X24A, X23A2