[Ifeffit] Can the degeneracy (N) in Artemis be a variable?

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Sat Jul 26 17:00:00 CDT 2014

Hi Peng:

The answer is yes, you can use a variable called "n" or n_o" but you need
to be careful on how you set up the fitting.  here is one way to do it:

For the path of interest, in the two boxes which are labeled "N" and
"S02", you fill them in as  "1" and "n_o" (for number of oxygens for
example).  Then you let "n_o" (note that at least in Artemis, lower case
is the same as upper case in variables) vary as a guess parameter.  The
result will be a number that is of the order of the number of near
neighbors but it will be too large by the factor of one over the amplitude
reduction factor.  If you have a way to estimate the amplitude reduction
factor as a set variable called "amp" you can set up the model a bit
differently, putting "amp * n_o" in the "S02" box.  This might give a
better estimate of the coordination number (path degeneracy).

Note that numerically there is no difference between the above and taking
a guessed value of "amp" and multiplying it by the number in the "N" box.
It is simply a matter of convenience and ease of looking at the output.

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Duchossois Leadership Professor of Physics
Director, Center for Synchrotron Radiation Research and Instrumentation
segre at iit.edu   http://phys.iit.edu/~segre   segre at debian.org