[Ifeffit] athena working issues on windows 8 and Ubuntu 14.04

huyanyun at physics.utoronto.ca huyanyun at physics.utoronto.ca
Thu Jul 24 11:35:15 CDT 2014

Hi All,

I am writing to inquire if Demeter(athena, artemis) works on a 64-bit
windows 8 system. I was trying to install Demeter 0.9.20 (downloaded from
http://bruceravel.github.io/demeter/)on my 64-bit windows 8 laptop. It
seems install well, at least there were no problems coming out during the
installation. However, when I opened Athena, and imported data (an EXAFS
data file end with .dat), there was no graphic window and no data was
imported into Arthena, which stopped me proceeding.

I had similar problems when I tried to install the Updater package
(version 0.9.18.2) after the 0.9.13 Installer package was installed.

Has anyone known if this problem was caused by the
incompatibility between Demeter and Windows 8, or because I didn't install
any supported package? Or how can I resolve this issue?

I also tried to install the source
code of demeter (version 0.9.20) following the instructions on
http://bruceravel.github.io/demeter/pods/installation.pod.html. All
procedures (step 1 to 4 in the section 'BUILD DEMETER AND ITS
DEPENDENCIES') went smoothly on my Ubuntu 14.04. When it was done, I typed
'athena' or 'artemis' in the terminal under the demeter directory and
athena or artemis were launched. But the graphic interface is still PGPLOT,
rather than GNUPLOT, although I have installed GNUPLOT before I built demeter.

Besides that, the data column window opened through 'open files' cannot be
imported, as there is no 'OK' button in the bottom left. Also, the athena
version shown is 0.8.061, rather than 0.9.20 which is the version number of
demeter I built. I was really confused about these working issues, stopping
me at the very beginning of data processing.

I'd appreciate a lot if anyone could let me know how to solve the above
problems. Does anyone else have similar issues?

All the best,
Yanyun Hu

PhD student in Physics,
University of Toronto