[Ifeffit] demeter-devel: Athena autosave hang issue

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Jul 16 09:51:55 CDT 2014

On 07/16/2014 10:17 AM, Jennifer Carter wrote:
> Now when I try to run athena the software hangs on an autosave file. I
> am unable to click either button the the pop-up menu to advance the
> software and I get the "application not responding" error. I searched
> for an athena.autosave file, as discussed in a previous thread about
> this issue, but don't find one.
>

> v129-22-124-229:~ jwc137$ find athena.autosave
>
> find: athena.autosave: No such file or directory

A few different sorts of answers:

1.  Try "find -iname athena.autosave" to search case insensitively.
     Or try "find Athena.autosave".

2.  Edit (in a text editor) $HOME/.horae/demeter.ini, search for the
     [athena] section, set 'autosave' to 'false'.

     I don't really recommend this.  Turning off the autosave feature
     seems like a bad idea.

3.  This is the second example of a dialog control hanging on the Mac.
     The control in question this time certainly does not hang on linux
     or Windows.  And if this control does not work, then many parts of
     Athena and Artemis will be broken.  This dialog is used anytime
     one of the programs needs to ask a yes/no question.  There's a lot
     of those.

     It's tough for me to figure out Mac-specific problems without
     help.  I'd need a patient volunteer to help track this down.

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS --- Beamlines U7A, X24A, X23A2