[Ifeffit] crystallite size determination by EXAFS

Anatoly I Frenkel afrenke2 at yu.edu
Tue Jul 15 20:53:36 CDT 2014

A follow up comment:

There is a much more simple way to calcualte degeneracies of all paths (single and multiple-scattering ones) in arbitrary model clusters with known xyz coordinates.

They should be treated as crystals with multiple inequivalent sites (such as Fe3O4, for example) of absorbers where, in order to model EXAFS data in such systems we construct weighted (over multiple sites) FEFF calculation by running FEFF several times, each time for a differently selected "central" atom of the same species that are crystallographically inequivalent.

In the case of a cluster of N atoms, if FEFF code runs for each absorber in the cluster, i.e., N times, it will generate coordination numbers of all paths, single and multiple scattering paths that are characteristic of each absorber, that can be later averaged to obtain the cluster-average CN, which is exactly what is needed for the type of analysis described below.

I do not know if such automated calculation is possible within existing IFEFFIT package but it is definitely possible to write a macro to do it with a standalone FEFF executable, and then run FEFF N times within the macro, to obtain such partial CNs, and then average them out.

Anatoly