[Ifeffit] Demeter-devel Athena on OS 10.9.4

Emmanuelle Montarges-Pelletier emmanuelle.montarges at univ-lorraine.fr
Mon Jul 7 17:40:54 CDT 2014

Dear all
I have just installed Demeter-devel on a computer Mac OS X 10.9.4, following the suggestions of Frank Schima and the different steps for installing xcode and command tools, macports, Xquartz. The mailing list was really helpful, thanks!
After having written Athena on a terminal window I have apparently the same "freezing" phenomena reported earlier by Margaret Hinkle, July 4th 2014
" With the new demeter-devel Macports download, Athena freezes upon opening. Opening up Athena via Terminal brought up perl5.16 -- I could see the GUI, the Tip of the Day, and the Athena startup box, but the system just froze. I had to force quit every time, getting the following notice in my Terminal: 'Terminated: 15'.".

I don't know how to solve this Athena blocking and completely lost when I read the solution provided by Bruce " Look for the '[athena]' section of demeter.ini, which should be in '$HOME/.horae'. Set the "tips" parameter to "false". That will suppress the tips dialog."

I really tried to do on my own,...but I have to be honest, I don't know how to change the tips parameter. I would need a specific lesson, something entitled "demeter for dummies".
So, could someone help me?
Thanks for your answer

Best Regards
Emmanuelle