[Ifeffit] Demeter-devel MacPorts Athena issues & work-around

Margaret Hinkle mhinkle at eps.wustl.edu
Thu Jul 3 17:54:18 CDT 2014

Dear OS X Users,
First let me thank Frank Schima for fixing the issues with Artemis and
ATOMS with his new demeter-devel Macports download -- I (and all Mac users)
greatly appreciate it!

I thought I would bring two issues with Macports Athena to your attention...

FYI, I am using Mac OS X Mavericks v. 10.9.4, with an Intel processor. I
followed the directions found here today to delete the old version of
demeter and download the new one:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ifeffit%40millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/msg04404.html

Issue 1. With the new demeter-devel Macports download, Athena freezes upon
opening. Opening up Athena via Terminal brought up perl5.16 -- I could see
the GUI, the Tip of the Day, and the Athena startup box, but the system
just froze. I had to force quit every time, getting the following notice in
my Terminal: 'Terminated: 15'. I had a feeling it was an issue with the Tip
of the Day popping up, so I edited the Athena.pm file (in the UI folder),
and edited line 197 from
‘$app->show_tip if Demeter->co->default('athena', 'tips');’ TO
 ‘$app->show_tip if Demeter->co->default('athena', 'tip');’
(honestly, I don't know enough about this code to be able to give it a real
option that would turn off the Tip of the Day as the default, so I just
hoped this would make the program give me general error in the GUI but that
Athena could still load). Luckily, my not-fix fix worked. I get an error
every time I open it, but after clicking 'OK', Athena behaves just like
normal. I hope you can use this information to provide a real fix to the
problem!

Issue 2. I can only load data files into Athena if there are no headers of
any sort -- commenting out each header line with a # or % does not work.
When I try to load in a .dat file with a commented-out header, I get the
following error message in Terminal:
'At line 436 of file iff_show.f
Fortran runtime error: End of record'
followed by Athena quitting itself.
This is an issue with both the regular Macports demeter download and the
demeter-devel download. These data files loaded in just fine to the old
iXAFS version of Athena, and on a PC. Is there a plugin I should be using
in the Demeter versions? If I delete the header, or load it in from a .prj
file, everything works just fine. So it is not huge issue, as I do have a
work around.

Thank you, Frank, for the new version of Demeter, and thank you all for any
thoughts you have on Issue 2.

Best regards,
Margaret Anne

------------------------------------