[Ifeffit] Demeter 0.9.19

Kevin Jorissen kevinjorissenpdx at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 13:20:26 CST 2014

Hi Matt,

I agree with everything you say.  Thanks for taking the time to explain.
 As someone who uses fortran all the time, it makes sense for me to own
Ifort, but since it's only free for academics on Linux, that's not true for
most people.

Actually, for FEFF our philosophy is also that it should compile with any
compiler on any platform.  We respond to EVERY compilation issue and never
tell people to use another compiler.  However -- most of our users don't
want to compile code at all: they like a nice binary that I've compiled for
them.  (I doubt that the ifeffit/demeter users would object to this option
;).)  For that, I like to use Ifort - for my purpose it's the better
compiler.  But we make sure that FEFF compiles well using gfortran etc.
also.

If I were to successfully built the codes on this mailing list, I'll
definitely share the recipe, as well as any kind of binary other people can
use without having to build/compile/... .   It won't be for today,
unfortunately :).

Cheers,

Kevin