[Ifeffit] Demeter 0.9.19

Kevin Jorissen kevinjorissenpdx at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 23:37:19 CST 2014

I can concur with others here that making something work on Mac can be a
miserable experience.  Sometimes you have to admit defeat and change the
approach.

Anyway, I tried "sudo port install p5.16-ifeffit" and failed:

~/Downloads% sudo port install p5.16-ifeffit
                                                                  --->
Computing dependencies for p5.16-ifeffit

--->  Dependencies to be installed: ifeffit pgplot perl5.16 gdbm

--->  Extracting pgplot

Error: org.macports.extract for port pgplot returned: command execution
failed

Error: Failed to install pgplot

Please see the log file for port pgplot for details:

/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_graphics_pgplot/pgplot/main.log

Error: The following dependencies were not installed: ifeffit pgplot
perl5.16 gdbm

To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:

    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets

Error: Processing of port p5.16-ifeffit failed

~/Downloads%

(This is upon rerunning the command - the first time, it installed many
more dependencies -- does anyone else suspect "port" of being designed to
fill hard disks as fast as possible?)  System is 10.9 generally up-to-date
with most things.  pgplot seems to fail during extraction.

I doubt that I'd be able to contribute a lot to this project, but I can
test things.

Also I'm surprised to read so much about gfortran about this thread, but
maybe I'm missing some common knowledge on the project ...  I am generally
much happier with Ifort.

Cheers,

Kevin