[Ifeffit] Demeter 0.9.19

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 9 21:33:25 CST 2014

Hi Frank,

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Schima, Frank <frank.schima at nist.gov> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Jan 9, 2014, at 8:26 AM, Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 8:04 AM, Bruce Ravel <bravel at bnl.gov> wrote:
>
> On 01/09/2014 08:24 AM, Stefano Luciano Ciurli wrote:
>

> Hello Bruce and thank you for your hard work!
> instructions to install on OS X 10.6.8?
>

> There is not a Mac package.  I do not own a Mac and and so do not have
> the ability to develop a Mac package on my own.
>
> Over the years, no one has ever stepped up to help me develop a Mac
> package for Demeter.  (Or Debian packages, or RedHat packages, for
> that matter.)
>

> Well, I have *tried* many times, and put a fair amount of time in
> getting Demeter to work on a Mac.   What I have not done is *succeed*.
>  I can tell you that getting wxPerl to work on Mac OSX is far from
> simple.  Though Demeter is many years old now, and I've tried many
> times over the years (and I using wxPython on Mac all the time), it is
> only within the past few months that I have ever gotten wxPerl to
> actually build on any Mac, and this was a 10.8 machine.  Currently
> (though I haven't looked at it in more than a month), getting the
> Ifeffit-Perl interface to build properly with Mac OS 10.8 has me
> stumped, as Apple is now using llvm/clang, making it challenging to
> work well with gfortran.
>
> Migrating Demeter to use Larch should simplify the situation, as it
> would remove the need for the Ifeffit-Perl interface.
>
> Frankly, the work I do on the Windows package takes a
> lot of time.  The only way I can claim that time fits in my job
> description is because my group uses Windows machines at our
> beamlines.  Help would be welcome to develop packages for Mac and
> other platforms, but despite repeated requests over many years, no one
> has ever volunteered and actually seen it through to completion.
>

> Yes, help building Demeter for Mac OSX would be great.
>

> I too have put a lot of work into making Demeter run on OS X. I have been
> attempting to make a port of it in Macports [1] so it is easy to install
> and/or have a package installer created.
>
> The good news is that along the way I have successfully created a port of
> ifeffit [2] that builds fine for me on 10.9 and should work all the way down
> to 10.6. I utilize gcc for gfortran. I believe the ifeffit-perl bindings [3]
> work too. After you install Macports [4], you can simply type:
>
> sudo port install p5.16-ifeffit
>
> The bad news is that my in progress Demeter port does not work yet. The
> problem I’m stuck on is getting the perl-wx port [5] built. I have not been
> able to get it built with the new wx-widgets version 3.0.0 that is in
> Macports. The perl-wx people apparently don’t have support for that version
> of wx yet and they never respond to my queries about it on the mailing list.
>
> I encourage people to test out ifeffit on OS X through Macports and give me
> [...]

Thanks!  I'm very glad you're working on this too.

I wasn't able to build wxPerl with macports either, but it did work
with citrusperl.  I don't have a strong preference, but citrusperl
does seem reasonable as a "standalone perl install".   I don't know
how likely it wold be to package this up into an App, but I suspect it
would be possible.

FWIW, I think that Demeter does not need wxWidgets verision 3, and
that 2.8 or 2.9 would be fine....  From recent experience with
wxPython and wxWidgets 3, I'd take the conservative approach and see
if Demeter can work with a not-too-old version like 2.9.   Does that
help you build with macports?

And I have been able to build the Ifeffit-Perl bindings on 10.6, but
not on 10.8.   I assumed this is due to changes in the Fortran
compilers. On one 10.8 machine, I know that I tried one of the 3rd
party ports of GFortran from http://hpc.sourceforge.net/   It's
certainly possible that I'm doing something wrong.   I haven't looked
at this in detail since November, but will give it another got over
the next couple weeks.

Of course, my preference would be to move away from the ifeffit
library to Larch, and this definitely works on Macs (and I know I can
make Apps), but it would be good to get some version of Demeter
working.

Cheers,
--
--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-252-0431