[Ifeffit] Demeter 0.9.19

Schima, Frank frank.schima at nist.gov
Thu Jan 9 10:47:41 CST 2014

Hi all,

On Jan 9, 2014, at 8:26 AM, Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu<mailto:newville at cars.uchicago.edu>> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 8:04 AM, Bruce Ravel <bravel at bnl.gov<mailto:bravel at bnl.gov>> wrote:
On 01/09/2014 08:24 AM, Stefano Luciano Ciurli wrote:

Hello Bruce and thank you for your hard work!
instructions to install on OS X 10.6.8?

There is not a Mac package.  I do not own a Mac and and so do not have
the ability to develop a Mac package on my own.

Over the years, no one has ever stepped up to help me develop a Mac
package for Demeter.  (Or Debian packages, or RedHat packages, for
that matter.)

Well, I have *tried* many times, and put a fair amount of time in
getting Demeter to work on a Mac.   What I have not done is *succeed*.
 I can tell you that getting wxPerl to work on Mac OSX is far from
simple.  Though Demeter is many years old now, and I've tried many
times over the years (and I using wxPython on Mac all the time), it is
only within the past few months that I have ever gotten wxPerl to
actually build on any Mac, and this was a 10.8 machine.  Currently
(though I haven't looked at it in more than a month), getting the
Ifeffit-Perl interface to build properly with Mac OS 10.8 has me
stumped, as Apple is now using llvm/clang, making it challenging to
work well with gfortran.

Migrating Demeter to use Larch should simplify the situation, as it
would remove the need for the Ifeffit-Perl interface.

Frankly, the work I do on the Windows package takes a
lot of time.  The only way I can claim that time fits in my job
description is because my group uses Windows machines at our
beamlines.  Help would be welcome to develop packages for Mac and
other platforms, but despite repeated requests over many years, no one
has ever volunteered and actually seen it through to completion.

Yes, help building Demeter for Mac OSX would be great.

I too have put a lot of work into making Demeter run on OS X. I have been attempting to make a port of it in Macports [1] so it is easy to install and/or have a package installer created.

The good news is that along the way I have successfully created a port of ifeffit [2] that builds fine for me on 10.9 and should work all the way down to 10.6. I utilize gcc for gfortran. I believe the ifeffit-perl bindings [3] work too. After you install Macports [4], you can simply type:

sudo port install p5.16-ifeffit

The bad news is that my in progress Demeter port does not work yet. The problem I’m stuck on is getting the perl-wx port [5] built. I have not been able to get it built with the new wx-widgets version 3.0.0 that is in Macports. The perl-wx people apparently don’t have support for that version of wx yet and they never respond to my queries about it on the mailing list.

I encourage people to test out ifeffit on OS X through Macports and give me feedback - positive or negative. Thanks to Bruce for his support during this endeavor.

Cheers!
Frank

[1] <http://www.macports.org>
[2] <https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/science/ifeffit/Portfile>