[Ifeffit] Handling large data sets in Athena (and energy dispersive calibration)

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Dec 18 13:38:07 CST 2014

Hey Ian,

Basically, ditto on what Matt said.  300 columns is not something that
Athena is designed to do.  My opinion is that you (or the beamline you
visit) should have some kind of tool to turn a file that into XAS.

As for the energy dispersive thing -- it's long been on the to do list.
  From time to time, I have poked at it, but I have never developed an
algorithm that I actually like.  Even the algorithm in the old Athena
was unstable and required very good initial guesses.  The best parts of
A&A are the parts that I have needed in my career.  I've never actually
done my own experiment at an ED beamline, so my software doesn't really
support it.