[Ifeffit] non-standard space group P 21/n

Sanson Andrea andrea.sanson at unipd.it
Tue Dec 9 04:54:02 CST 2014

Dear Bruce,

yes, I used an old version of Atoms!
Now I am using the last version of atoms by Artemis,
and the P 21/n space group is really included.
Now it is all ok.

Thank you very much!
Andrea

At 15:09 06/12/2014, Bruce Ravel wrote:
>Andrea, I was on a train without internet access
>much of yesterday.  Happily, you got some useful
>feedback from others.  The mailing list really
>is a good place to ask questions! From your
>original email, I get the sense that you are
>using the very old version of Atoms, which is
>written in Fortran and which was last worked on
>in 1998. While Wayne's advice is certainly
>correct and actionable, I am pretty confident
>that the current version of Atoms knows how to
>interpret the space group symbol P 21/n.  At
>least, that symbol is in the database:
>https://github.com/bruceravel/demeter/blob/master/lib/Xray/Crystal/share/space_groups.db.PL#L308
>For this sort of question, it is usually a good
>idea to post the actual crystal data (or a link
>to it) when you ask your question.  That way,
>you can get a specific answer to your specific
>question, rather that the sort of generic, "you
>might try this..." sorts of answers you have
>gotten from Wayne, Robert, and myself.
>Hopefully, Wayne's impressive command of 3D
>geometry has gotten you over your hurdle!
>Cheers, B On 12/06/2014 03:44 AM,
>andrea.sanson at unipd.it wrote: > Dear Wayne, > >
>thank you very much for your enlightening
>answer! > > Best regards, > Andrea > > > > > >
>Dear Andrea, > > > To convert the atomic
>positions, use the following equations
>(starred > positions are in the P21/c
>setting) > > > a* = c > b* = b > c* = a+b > > >
>To convert the unit cell, > > > A* = C > B* =
>B > C* =
>sqrt{[Ccos(90-beta)]^2+[A-Csin(90-beta)]^2} >
>beta* = 90 - cos-1[Ccos(90-beta)/C*] where cos-1
>is the inverse cosine > function > > > If you
>have problems, please double check my geometry
>for converting the > unit cell parameters. > > >
>Sincerely, > > > Wayne > > > > > > > On Fri, Dec
>5, 2014 at 9:04 AM, <andrea.sanson at unipd.it>
>wrote: > > Dear Gordon, > > thank you for your
>reply. > I tried to use the space group P1, >
>but the resulting local structure around the
>absorber atoms > is completely different from
>that expected. > > Andrea > > > > > > > HI
>Andrea, > > > My suggestion, if you know where
>all the atoms are in the unit cell, is to >
>use > > space group P1. It may be tedious and
>brute force in nature, but you won't > have > to
>worry about origin choices or non-standard space
>groups. You will still > know > > which atoms
>are equivalent and can pick an appropriate one
>as your target > atom. > > > regards, >
>Robert > > > > On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM,
>Sanson Andrea <andrea.sanson at unipd.it>
>wrote: > > Dear all > > does anyone know if is
>it possible to create with ATOMS > the
>non-standard space group P 21/n ? > > Space
>group keywords are listed at the atoms website >
>http://iffwww.iff.kfa-juelich.de/icp/atoms/atoms.sgml-7.html#ss7.4
> > but no keyword for P 21/n group is
>available. > > Thanks for any suggestion. > Best
>regards, > AS > > > > > > > > >
> > --   Bruce
> [...]

Andrea Sanson
Department of Physics and Astronomy - University of Padova
Via Marzolo 8, I-35131 Padova (Italy)
Tel. +39.049.827.7004 Fax. +39.049.827.7000