[Ifeffit] Regarding installation of demeter on Mac Mavericks system

Alison Tebo agtebo at umich.edu
Sun Aug 31 21:49:07 CDT 2014

Hi Pushkar,

It's a little hard to tell what you did and in what order. When you
activated Macports and then installed athena did you type something like 'sudo
port install xorg-server athena'? Is that when you first came across the
library duplicate? When you tried to run athena, what error did you get?
You didn't report this. It sounds like you might have installed xorg-server
(which is the same thing you downloaded from the XQuartz site) and didn't
logout and then back in to reset your DISPLAY variable and then downloaded
it again manually, messing up your ports. I can't really tell from the
information you gave. What is the output of typing echo $DISPLAY?

What I would do: start over. Uninstall all of your X11s. For the XQuartz
one start here: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X11-UsersFAQ. For
the Macports one, uninstall and clean both the 'athena' and 'xorg-server'
ports. Then, reinstall xorg-server by itself. Log out and then back in.
Then type echo $DISPLAY. Your DISPLAY variable should be something like
/tmp/launch-XXXXXX/org.macports:0.  Then install athena (sudo port install
athena). Are there any errors? If so, what are they?

I'm not very knowledgable about this stuff but this seems like a pretty
reasonable first step to me. Since I'm on an older Mac OS, if there's
10.9-specific issues I won't be much help. Hopefully this resolves your
issues.

Best,
Alison