[Ifeffit] Demeter OS X macports build failure

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Tue Aug 26 22:25:39 CDT 2014

Hi (again) Frank,
  The problem with the black windows in artemis was solved last time by installing the demeter-devel package, however, you suggested installing the ifeffit package.  I had assumed that this version would have solved the black window problem.  I then tried installing demeter-devel and all programs ran without error.  I am a little confused as to what is the most recent version -- am I now running an older version of demeter than before?  Is this black window problem something wrong on my end (with the version installed by port install ifeffit +gcc49)?  In any case, thank you very much for your efforts.

Best wishes,
                      Paul

On Aug 26, 2014, at 0:50, Schima, Frank <frank.schima at nist.gov> wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2014, at 6:17 AM, Bruce Ravel <bravel at bnl.gov> wrote:
>
>> On 08/24/2014 10:33 PM, Paul Fons wrote:
>>> Let me start out thanking you for writing and maintaining the OSX build
>>> of Demeter.  Up until the latest release the different elements Athena,
>>> Artemis, and Hephaestus have been running more or less fine.  In the
>>> latest update, I encountered a build error upon giving the command "port
>>> upgrade outdated".  Here is the content of the log file.  Do you have
>>> any advise as to how to proceed?
>>
>> Paul,
>>
>> Errors like this:
>>
>>  :info:build Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
>>  :info:build   "__gfortran_compare_string", referenced from:
>>
>> suggest a missing library that is being referenced but which cannot be linked to.  Perhaps you are missing some package associated with gfortran...?
>>
>> I'd likely know how to solve this problem on Ubuntu, but on macports…..
>
> Thanks for responding Bruce. You are correct and this is a new bug I have seen recently. While I don’t know why this is happening exactly, fortunately the workaround is easy.
>
> sudo port install ifeffit +gcc49
> sudo port clean p5.16-ifeffit
> sudo port upgrade outdated
>

> Cheers!
> Frank

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Research Scientist
Functional Nano-phase-change Research Team
Nanoelectronics Research Institute
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI

AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939

email: paul-fons at aist.go.jp

The following lines are in a Japanese font

〒305-8562 茨城県つくば市つくば中央東 1-1-1
産業技術総合研究所
ナノエレクトロニクス研究部門
相変化新規機能デバイス研究チーム