[Ifeffit] Demeter OS X macports build failure

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Tue Aug 26 22:13:05 CDT 2014

Hi Frank,
  The suggestion you made allowed me to successfully get artemis, athena, and hephestus running with one problem.  The windows are black for artemis (although the other two are fine).  Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem?

Cheers,
		Paul
On Aug 26, 2014, at 0:50, Schima, Frank <frank.schima at nist.gov> wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2014, at 6:17 AM, Bruce Ravel <bravel at bnl.gov> wrote:
>
>> On 08/24/2014 10:33 PM, Paul Fons wrote:
>>> Let me start out thanking you for writing and maintaining the OSX build
>>> of Demeter.  Up until the latest release the different elements Athena,
>>> Artemis, and Hephaestus have been running more or less fine.  In the
>>> latest update, I encountered a build error upon giving the command "port
>>> upgrade outdated".  Here is the content of the log file.  Do you have
>>> any advise as to how to proceed?
>>
>> Paul,
>>
>> Errors like this:
>>
>>  :info:build Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
>>  :info:build   "__gfortran_compare_string", referenced from:
>>
>> suggest a missing library that is being referenced but which cannot be linked to.  Perhaps you are missing some package associated with gfortran...?
>>
>> I'd likely know how to solve this problem on Ubuntu, but on macports…..
>
> Thanks for responding Bruce. You are correct and this is a new bug I have seen recently. While I don’t know why this is happening exactly, fortunately the workaround is easy.
>
> sudo port install ifeffit +gcc49
> sudo port clean p5.16-ifeffit
> sudo port upgrade outdated
>

> Cheers!
> Frank

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Research Scientist
Functional Nano-phase-change Research Team
Nanoelectronics Research Institute
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI

AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939

email: paul-fons at aist.go.jp

The following lines are in a Japanese font

〒305-8562 茨城県つくば市つくば中央東 1-1-1
産業技術総合研究所
ナノエレクトロニクス研究部門
相変化新規機能デバイス研究チーム