[Ifeffit] Artemis and FEFF interaction in fit process

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Aug 19 13:47:14 CDT 2014

Artemis has a parameter, feff-->executable, which identifies the Feff
executable.  Artemis runs this by a system call to create the
potentials and phase shifts given the input structure.

Artemis then runs its own version of the pathfinder.

The results of those two calculations are stored in the project file.

In an instance of Artemis, the Feff executable is run as needed to
make the feffNNNN.dat files.  That is, the first time you make a plot
or a fit (there are a few other actions that will also trigger this),
Artemis will run the Feff executable to make the path that is needed.
Thus each path plotted or used in a fit requires a system call.

The advantage of this is that project files remain relatively small
because no data is saved for any path, only the metadata required to
reproduce the path.  This works because making a path is fast enough,
certainly it is on the time scale that one spends staring at Artemis.

All of that works with Feff6L.  Given the limited amount of time that
I can possibly spend on Demeter and the large number of things that
need doing, making all that work with all other versions of Feff is
not a priority for me.

You could try pointing Demeter at whatever version of Feff you are
using and seeing how it goes.  I probably won't be in a position to do
much if/when things don't go as hoped.

That said, I am committed to making Artemis work with this version of
Feff 8.5: https://github.com/xraypy/feff85exafs.  In fact, I've been
working on that for the last few weeks.  There's a lot to do, so I
don't have an ETA for when that version of Feff will be integrated
into Artemis.

If you have a compelling need to use some version of Feff other than
the one we get to redistribute, then Artemis may not be the right tool
for you.

Of course  there are things that you or anyone could do to help this
along.  We would welcome help with development of Feff 8.5 for EXAFS.
I would welcome contributions to Demeter.  Matt would be happy to see
more people working with him on Larch.