[Ifeffit] larch warning about epics plugin

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 1 11:05:47 CDT 2014

Hi Johan,

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Johan Nilsson <johan.nilsson at chalmers.se>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Today I reinstalled larch after upgrading my computer to Ubuntu 14.04. I
downloaded the latest source and installed all the recommended dependencies
except PyEpics and then continued with the install. Everything went
smoothly and larch appears to be working as it should. However when I start
the program I get warning messages about the epics plugin

> $ larch
>   Larch 0.9.23 (8-Apr-2014) M. Newville, T. Trainor
>   using python 2.7.6, numpy 1.8.1, wx-enabled, wx version 2.8.12.1
> Warning: /usr/share/larch/plugins/epics/xrfcontrol.py is not a valid
plugin
>    error:  ImportError('cannot import name ROI',)
> Warning: /usr/share/larch/plugins/epics/xrf_detectors.py is not a valid
plugin
>    error:  ImportError('cannot import name ROI',)
> Warning: /usr/share/larch/plugins/epics/xspress3.py is not a valid plugin
>    error:  ImportError('cannot import name ROI',)
>
> I have no plans to use this plugin but I tried to install PyEpics to see
if anything would change but it did not. Is this a bug or is there some
configuration I can change to get rid of the warnings?

Sorry, my fault.  I've been playing with using Larch and Epics together.
This is fun, but I haven't been careful about the separation.

For a quick fix, you can just delete the plugins/epics folder (from the
installation directory /usr/share/larch/plugins).  There is nothing in
there you'll need if you're not using Epics.

I think the "best solution" is for me to make a way for entire folders of
plugins to be loaded only if some set of dependencies are also installed.
That would be useful for making plugins for, say, PyMCA, or reading spec
files or whatever.