[Ifeffit] Using radius in FEFF to determine nanoparticles

Anatoly I Frenkel afrenke2 at yu.edu
Wed Sep 11 10:19:26 CDT 2013

Lisa,

The number of papers using FEFF to model nanoparticles is in the thousands.
Starting with FEFF8, most XANES features can be reliably modeled.
Look for papers by J.Kas and others from J.Rehr group for details.

Neighboring nanoparticles do not contribute, one reason being that XAS is dominated by the interior of the particle, and there are many other reasons, but that one is the most important.
Too few atoms on the first particle will see the atoms on the second particle to make contribution to average XAS. These contributions will be also strongly disordered and tend to cancel each other.

Anatoly

Sent from my iPad