[Ifeffit] problem with Demeter on non-unicode machine

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sat Sep 7 23:49:29 CDT 2013

Hi Andrei, All

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Andrei Shiryaev <a_shiryaev at mail.ru> wrote:

> Dear Matt,
> Thank you very much, the recipe apparently works!
> Sincerely,
> Andrei

Great!  Now we can help Bruce (and many others) out, with pretty simple
  0. Get an account on Github
  1. Go to https://github.com/bruceravel/demeter and hit the "Fork" button
in the upper right hand corner.  This may take a bit of time.
  2. In your "fork"ed version, find the file  lib/Demeter/UI/Artemis.pm.
For the way I did this, the file is at

  3. Hit the "Edit button", and the change file,  in this case adding
        $Archive::Zip::UNICODE = 1;
      immediately after the line reading
       use Archive::Zip qw( :ERROR_CODES :CONSTANTS );
  4. Add a comment on the change.  In my case, I wrote
         add Unicode support to Zip files (so that Projects may include
paths with unicode)
  5. Hit the "commit changes" button.  This saves the change for my fork of
  6. From the main page for this forked version of Demeter click on "Pull
Requests", then
     "New Pull Request" and then "Click to create pull request", and one
more click on
     "Send Pull Request" to confirm.

Now Bruce can incorporate this change, possibly fixing project files for
many people who (sensibly) use their name as part of the file path,  with a
couple of button clicks.

I understand that you and many people reading this list don't view
themselves as programmers.  I'm not very comfortable with Perl myself.
But that was all found from googling the error message in the log file, and
then editing the file entirely through a web interface.  Bruce has made it
very easy for you and I to help him out...


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/pipermail/ifeffit/attachments/20130907/d3c19939/attachment.html>

More information about the Ifeffit mailing list