[Ifeffit] Installation problems Ubuntu 12.04

Ivan Stijepovic ivan.stijepovic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 13:10:38 CDT 2013

Hi David!

As Bruce suggested, try installing SOAP::Lite module or any other missing
dependency manually (through Software Center or 'sudo apt-get install'
command).

I had two problems with installation. One was considering proxy-server,
where I changed line: 'git clone git://github.com/bruceravel/demeter.git' to
 'git clone https://github.com/bruceravel/demeter.git' as my proxy server
blocked git repository and it worked out in Ubuntu 12.04. Maybe you should
also check that first.

The second problem was more similar to the one you have with missing
dependencies, when I tried to install Demeter on Linux Mint 13. I had to
install missing perl modules by hand. I never found the reason behind that
odd behaviour but when I installed two or three missing modules Demeter
installation finished just fine. So my suggestion is to try './Build
installdeps', see which modules are missing and then install them manually.

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Bruce Ravel <bravel at bnl.gov> wrote:

> David,
>
> I'm actually on vacation right now, so I won't be able to give your issue
> much attention for a while.
>
> It's not clear to me why that prerequisite is failing.  I have installed
> it successfully on ubuntu machines many dozens of times.
>
> That said, it seems that there is a problem installing SOAP::Lite.  Try
>
>   sudo apt-get install libsoap-lite-perl
>
> then try ./Build installdeps again.
>
> No guarantees, but it's something to try.  Good luck.

> On 09/05/2013 04:25 PM, David Eveborn wrote:
>
>> Ivan,
>>
>> Many thanks for the suggestion! The second command was not successful
>> (installation failed). However, the first command seem to work BUT
>> $ perl ./Build.PL
>> still reported "XMLRPC::Lite is not installed" and when I run
>> $ ./Build installdeps
>> I got similar output as before (see attached file). Anything more I can
>> do?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> David Eveborn
>>
>> JTI - Swedish Institute of Agricultural and Environmental Engineering
>> Uppsala
>> Sweden
>>

>> 2013/9/5 Ivan Stijepovic <ivan.stijepovic at gmail.com
>> <mailto:ivan.stijepovic at gmail.**com <ivan.stijepovic at gmail.com>>>
>>

>>     Hi, David!
>>
>>     I think that you should install this module manually. You have two
>>     options and both require to open terminal:
>>
>>     1. sudo apt-get install libnet-ssleay-perl
>>
>>     or
>>
>>     2. cpan -i Net::SSLeay
>>
>>     This should install missing perl module.
>>

>>     On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM, David Eveborn
>>     <david.eveborn at gmail.com <mailto:david.eveborn at gmail.**com<david.eveborn at gmail.com>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>         Hi!
>>
>>         I am trying to install the demeter package from sources as
>>         described by Dave Huges
>>         https://gist.github.com/**waveform80/3959252<https://gist.github.com/waveform80/3959252>.
>> I am doing this on a
>>         fresh install of ubuntu 12.04 (as a virtual machine if this
>>         could have any effect). Most things turns out as expected but I
>>         have encountered a problem. When I invoke the ./Build
>>         installdeps one single dependency refuses to install because of
>>         failing tests. The output from the terminal is attached in this
>>         e-mail. If anyone could lead me in how to handle this I would be
>>         very happy (I am not experienced in building from sources).
>>
>>         Kind Regads
>>
>>         David

>>     --
>>     Best wishes,
>>     Dr. Ivan Stijepović
>>
>>     Department of Materials Engineering
>>     Faculty of Technology
>>     University of Novi Sad
>>     Bul. cara Lazara 1
>>     21000 Novi Sad
>>     Serbia
>>
>>     tel: +381 21 485 3750 <tel:%2B381%2021%20485%203750>
> [...]

fax: +381 21 450 413
e-mail: ivan.stijepovic at gmail.com
e-mail: ivan at tf.uns.ac.rs