[Ifeffit] FW: Problem opening Demeter in Windows - doesn't work at all

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Fri Oct 25 12:36:20 CDT 2013

On 10/25/2013 10:22 AM, Arjen van Veelen wrote:
> Can't load 'C:/Users/AvV/Documents/strawberry/perl/site/lib/auto/Wx/Wx.dll' for module Wx: load_file:The  device is not ready at C:/Users/AvV/Documents/strawberry/perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 200.
>   at C:/Users/AvV/Documents/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Wx/Perl/SplashFast.pm line 60
> Compilation failed in require at C:\Users\AvV\Documents\strawberry\perl\site\bin\dartemis.bat line 23.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\Users\AvV\Documents\strawberry\perl\site\bin\dartemis.bat line 23.

Hi Arjen,

That is a strange problem in the sense that I have never seen that
error message before.

My best guess is that you have another version of Wx and its perl
wrapper instaleld on your computer.  Have you installed one of the
popular perl packages -- ActiveState, Citrus, or another version of
Strawberry -- on your computer?  Have you installed some other third
party software package that uses perl?

It could, I suppose, also be due to the MinGW problem, although the
symptons are not the same as what I have seen before.  Try following
Greg Hutching's instructions for using the Path Editor GUI

   http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/Demeter/MingwFix

You may find that some other application installed a different version
of MinGW on your computer and that by changing the order of the PATH,
your problem may go away.  As I explained a few days ago to the fellow
who had a MinGW conflict between GnuPG and Demeter, the hack I put
into Demeter to avoid this PATH conflict is not so robust.

Another thing that you might look into ....  I see that you installed
into C:\Users\AvV\Documents rather than its default location of C:\.
That is *supposed* to be ok.  Indeed, it is something I thought I had
tested.  You mighht try uninstalling (and cleaning any remaining files
by hand) then reinstalling in the default location.

Do follow upif any of this helps.  It would be helpful to me to know
about the solution if you find it.

And don't hesitate to post again if you turn up anything that looks
useful but still have not solved the problem.

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS --- Beamlines U7A, X24A, X23A2

  Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel